Position Profile: Director of Communications
This is a rare opportunity for an exceptional, multi-faceted individual to contribute to the
national democracy innovation movement.
The Director of Communications (DOC) will play an integral role in executing the mission and
vision of IPI to catalyze action, bringing Politics Industry Theory to further life and extending its
reach, to supporting the passage of ballot initiatives and legislation.
Reporting to the Executive Directors, the DOC is responsible for crafting and executing the
Institute’s high-level communications strategy, which includes a national PR campaign,
proactive/defense public affairs strategy in support of state-level campaigns, packaging and
distribution of thought leadership, and crafting a best-in-class messaging and talking points
plan ensuring that IPI (and partners) are using the most persuasive and accurate arguments to
win minds and hearts. This position will manage the Marketing Director along with PR
consulting firms and other vendors. The DOC will serve as an advisor to state FFV campaigns
as they build their messaging strategy for passing Final-Five Voting in their state. Messaging
will likely differ from state to state depending on the political landscape, history, and culture.
The DOC will build and manage a mid-six-figure yearly budget.
The Director of Communications will be accountable for:
• IPI Public Affairs: Build a best-in-class, cross-partisan public relations strategy that
influences national and local public opinion and promotes IPI ideas and services.
Proactively build a network of engaged top-tier media and surrogates and respond to
requests for information from the media. Track media coverage and work closely with
the IPI team to respond or amplify. Craft and educate a publishing plan and schedule
(op-eds, essays, etc.)
• IPI Messaging: Be the conduit between IPI theory & scholarship, and
campaigns/marketing with the goal of crafting a best-in-class, data-driven messaging
that wins hearts and minds. Works directly with our national cohort of political operative
and manage pollsters and focus-group consultants to build a tailored package and
deploy it with a customer-service mentality to our partners. Make sure all surrogates of
IPI are using the best talking points and most persuasive data when representing IPI.
• IPI Image: Develop strategy to maintain IPI’s image as a cross-partisan, scholarly, and
politically savvy leader in the political reform space. May include raising the individual
profiles of Katherine Gehl or IPI senior leadership team.
• IPI Advocacy: In partnership with the rest of the IPI team, act as a member of the
consulting team with state FFV campaigns. Help them build their strategy for passing
Final-Five Voting in their state. Strategies will likely differ from state to state depending
on the political landscape, history, and culture. Simultaneously, create national
approaches that catalyze support for FFV in ways that can be leveraged by state
• IPI Relationships and Network: As a key player, build and manage relationships
around the country with a keen eye toward “network-effect opportunities” to perfect
and consolidate all PR efforts and support high-leverage projects as needed.
The character sketch of the ideal candidate is as follows:
• A top-tier public affairs mind
• A natural leader who gravitates toward problem-solving at a grand scale
• A preternatural ability to build buy-in around a plan, and drive to completion
• Experience and excellence in media management, both strategically (toward setting
agendas) and actively (writing)
• A manager who identifies and hones talent and creates exceptional environments
• A strong backbone; ability to work at a fast pace and manage coolly through a crisis
• Intrinsically motivated; a self-starter who seeks out and thrives in fast-paced
environments with the highest expectations for accuracy and efficacy
• Unbreakably organized with demonstrated ability to simultaneously balance deadlines
and projects in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Ability to assess opportunities and create systems to execute on strategic priorities
• A collaborator, a phenomenal written and oral communicator, and an outstanding
• Adept at engaging stakeholders with through external relationship management
• Exhibits a positive attitude and executes tasks with ease and a calm demeanor
• Willingness to engage at all levels, doing whatever it takes to get the job done
The qualifications for the ideal candidate are as follows:
• At least 10 years of communications experience in professional environments, including
a track record of driving measurable results and successes
• At least 3 years’ experience leading communications for political or public affairs
campaigns, elected officials, and/or Fortune-500 corporate leaders
• At least 3 years’ experience developing and executing effective communications
strategies on policy issues that live in the overlap between public and private sectors
• Experience gathering and analyzing information using polling, surveys and focus groups
• Ability to quickly develop subject matter expertise on complex policy challenges and
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Constant Contact,
Mailchimp, CRM, databases and various social media platforms, WordPress (CMS)
• Willingness to travel as required for the position
• English proficiency
• Able to work legally in the United States
• Willing to take post-offer pre-employment psychological profile, and, if requested, a
While this profile is intended to be an accurate reflection of the most significant duties of the
current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, efforts,
requirements or expectations. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
IPI strives to be an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration, and respect. We
actively recruit for diversity in the workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds,
perspectives and experiences contribute to our mission.
IPI is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for
employment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or
on any other basis prohibited by law.
We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate who
needs reasonable accommodations to apply for this position, please contact us.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to Solomon Lieberman, co-Executive
Director of IPI, at [email protected]