This is a rare opportunity for an exceptional, multi-faceted individual to contribute to the national democracy innovation movement. The Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) will serve on the Executive Directors’ leadership team and work closely with the Board of Directors for the Institute for Political Innovation.
The DFO will be responsible for optimizing, organizing, and overseeing the financial and operational health and excellence primarily for IPI (a 501 c3 organization) and for the political innovation work of two connected entities: a 501c4 organization, and an LLC.
Responsibilities will include strategic financial planning; budgeting and accounting in support of operations and fundraising; managing and perfecting our processes around information management, office operations, human resources, and general administration; and risk management. You will report directly to the Co-Executive Directors, and collaborate with IPI’s Chief-of-Staff, Network Manager, and General Counsel. You will also work with and managed consultants and outsourced services, such as our IT resource and our bookkeeping and accounting firm. Location: Chicago, IL.
The DFO duties and accountabilities include:
• Set the financial strategy in partnership with Leadership, and manage healthy practices for execution of that strategy, such as day-to-day owned/delegated administration over repetitive functions, i.e., payroll, corporate and tax filings, internal controls, etc.
• Set the office and culture strategy in partnership with Leadership, and manage healthy practices for execution of that strategy, such as day-to-day owned/delegated administration of day-to-day systems for H.R., information technology, data management, office, etc.
• Work closely with the Fundraising team to build budgets, systems, and practices
• Work closely with Leadership to plan and execute yearly staff practices, such as retreats, regular events, professional development, and annual reviews
• Create staff support and capacity building opportunities around new operation procedures and be accessible for helpdesk functions related to technology, administrative and HR needs of staff
• Provide operations trainings and support to staff
• Oversee the bookkeeping and accounting function which includes accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger preparation, financial statement preparations and other accounting activities
• Assist the organization’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain and correct variances as appropriate
• Ensure all activities, policies and procedures comply with applicable local, federal, and state regulations and laws governing operations
• Work closely with General Counsel on HR oversight and management, including internal policies and systems, around hiring and recruitment, onboarding, performance, staff management, staff satisfaction and retention.
• Manage all administration and personnel files and conduct file audits
• Manage office space and equipment, including troubleshooting
• Manage coordination of org-wide retreats and team gatherings
• Collaborate with Leadership to build an environment of responsibility and accountability
Qualifications and Character Sketch:
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum of 5 years of experience managing a complex enterprise’s finances, human resources, operations, compliance, or strategies
• Non-profit experience a plus
• A demonstrated track record of success in business operations management and project management
• Highly organized with demonstrated ability to simultaneously balance deadlines and projects in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Experience managing, mentoring, and supporting the professional growth of team members
• Attention to detail, strong management skills and consistent quality work
• Excellent critical thinking ability and problem solving, with sound judgment in prioritizing problems and opportunities
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Excellent technology skills and highly proficient in CRM (Salesforce), Microsoft Office suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Dropbox, databases, meeting technology and social media platforms. Ability to quickly learn and become proficient at other software programs
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, in a team environment
• Proactive and resourceful approach to work, taking initiative to get things done
• Eager to accept and quickly implement feedback
• Willingness to work long hours and engage at all levels, doing whatever it takes to get the job done
• Willingness to work remotely and travel
• Honest, responsible and flexible
• Understands that the utmost in confidentiality, discretion, and professionalism is required. Willing to sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement
• Outstanding, verifiable references
• English proficiency
• Driver’s license and safe driving history
• Able to work legally in the United States
• Willing to take a post-offer pre-employment physical, and, if requested, a drug screen
• Proof of good credit history will be required. A credit report (authorized by the candidate) will be used to make a decision regarding employment. A poor report may result in elimination from consideration for this position and/or continued employment.
While this profile is intended to be an accurate reflection of the most significant duties of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, efforts, requirements or expectations. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
IPI strives to be an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration, and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in the workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission.
IPI is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate who needs reasonable accommodations to apply for this position, please contact us.
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume to Solomon Lieberman, co-Executive Director of IPI, at [email protected] with “Director of Finance & Operations” as the subject line.